Our Health Care Professional Team

Your Doctor

Your medical doctor will see you on a regular basis or, if unable to visit, he or she will arrange for another doctor to see you in his / her absence. Your doctor will determine what Care Plan you require, and will also direct others (through written orders) how to administer the plan.

'In-Charge' Registered Nurse / Team Leader

Your doctor will work closely with this nurse to direct your care. She will help by giving you information, as well as directions for after your discharge from the hospital. Upon release, the nurse will provide you with a sheet listing your medications, and new prescriptions.

Registered Nurse and Registered Practical Nurse

These health care professionals will probably become the most familiar to you, as they will take care of your everyday needs; baths, assistance with eating and any other daily functions will all be overseen by your nurse. On admission, the nurse will ask you to designate one person for communication.

Personal Support Worker

The Personal Support Worker provides basic nursing care; assists patients with personal hygiene, food and fluid intake and elimination needs as outlined in the Nursing Care Plans specific to each patient.


The physiotherapist is responsible for assessing and developing an action plan to treat those referred to her by attending doctors. Her task is to help you improve your mobility, strength or pain control. She will also determine what suits your needs should you require aids, such as a walker or cane.

Occupational Therapist

An occupational therapist can help you relearn to perform daily tasks on your own and learn new practical skills for everyday life. He or she can help you to achieve your personal goals and to make the best use of your physical and mental abilities.

Speech-Language Pathologist

If you have trouble speaking, understanding speech, reading or writing, a speech-language pathologist will work with you. He or she will help you improve your speech or learn other ways to communicate. The speech-language pathologist will also help you if you have problems swallowing.

Your Clergy / Pastoral Care Team

Most denominations present in our area visit HGMH. Should you desire a consultation with your clergy member, simply ask your nurse to arrange it for you.


Menus with a selection of meals are distributed daily. Should you have special dietary needs, your attending physician will refer you to our dietician, who will plan a diet for you. They will also teach you how to implement any dietary changes in preparation for your discharge.

Community Care Access Centre Case Manager / HGMH Discharge Planner

The CCAC case manager and discharge planner's duty is to facilitate the patient's transition between hospital care and in-home services. A home care plan is established, and goals are set to promote independence and facilitate short stay or long stay placement in Long Term Care Facilities.


Telehealth Ontario is a free, confidential telephone service you can call to get health advice or general health information from a Registered Nurse. The service provides round-the-clock access, to a qualified health professional. It can help you decide whether to care for yourself, make an appointment with your doctor, go to a clinic, contact a community service or go to a hospital emergency room.

Call Telehealth Ontario:


back up